Are you proud of your salon? Are you confident in the ability and creativity of your stylists? Are you up for competition? While these can be nerve racking, they are also an excellent way to promote your salon.
Competitions, particularly ones on a grand scale, are an excellent way to raise the profile of your salon. It is also a means of proving the high quality and creative nature of the salon’s employees. This also translates into salon advertising.
Yet competitions are also about providing your staff with a chance to prove how good they are, how far they have come and/or where they want to go. It also provides them with a chance to display their talent while learning more about other techniques, styles and creativity.
Where to Compete in the Beauty Biz
There are, essentially, two types of competitions. These are
- Local – held within the community or nearby communities, often for charity. These help raise your profile locally while acting as a mixer. It is an excellent way to start a friendly rivalry with other salons. In these events, however, charity should always be the big winner.
- Professional – these are held at trade shows or by specific hairstyle associations, industries or even beauty product supply / hair dressing equipment companies. They are about networking, prestige, and money.
Australia & NZ – Hair Expo
The largest and most prestigious competition you and your salon can enter in the Southern Hemisphere is Hair Expo. Hair Expo brings together exhibitors, speakers, workshop presenters and stars from various sectors of the world of hair design and beauty. It is about introducing salon owners to the latest in salon equipment including beauty salon furniture, salon reception desks and beauty supplies. This is not only about local salon equipment from Adelaide, Brisbane or Sidney. This show features international exhibitors and talent.
The competition takes place as part of this event. The nominations are made in advance and the awards presented during the expo. The awards for which your shop and salon team can be nominated include:
- Australian Hairdresser of the Year
- Colour Technician of the Year
- Session Stylist of the Year
- Apprentice/Student of the Year
- New Zealand Hairdresser of the Year
- Emerging Hairdresser of the Year
- New Creative Force
- Salon Team of the Year
- Excellence in Marketing
Another major competition, you may sign on for, is sponsored by the International Hairstylists Society (IHS). They hold mini-competitions NSW from around March through to July. This, a travelling competition, takes place around Australia. The mini-competitions happen live in Sydney, Wollongong and Port Macquarie. Categories include bridal look, high fashion cut, colour, and hair extensions. They present a challenge to those who enter.
Competitions allow you and your salon team to showcase their talent. They provide you with an opportunity to put your salon in its best light. You promote your salon and show current and potential clients what your team is made of.