It’s no secret that the reception area of any business premises is not just a stylish waiting room. It says a lot about the business itself, whether it is run professionally, is confident about what it does and its attitude to its customers. So, when buying your salon reception desk, there are a lot of factors to consider.
Making an immediate and positive first impression is essential. According to Schwarzkopf Professional, the global hair care product manufacturers and salon suppliers, salon receptionists work in “a key position in determining the success of the salon”. Their working environment (their desk) plays no small part in that role.
But, it is sometimes difficult to get the right choice of desk. At DSSE, we have been helping established and start-up salons in this task. We do share the main factors we believed that one should consider when buying a salon reception desk.
Top Six Factors to Consider
1. Desk Location – the location of the salon reception desk is an obvious first consideration. The available space do have an influence on the size and shape of the desk. In a small reception area, a corner might be best, a round desk would also suit. Against a straight wall, a straight, L-shaped or semi-circular desk might work best. If placed in the centre of a large reception area, a full rectangular or oval desk may suit.
2. Existing Office Décor – the existing office décor, and whether your salon reception desk complements it or not, is also important. When setting up your salon, the desk is part of the overall design, but when getting a new one, should the replacement be a perfect copy? What about a retro-design or antique desk, or a more contemporary design?
3. Desk Design and Dimensions – So, what about the desk design? Well, it’s a good idea to consider these key questions:
- Will the receptionist use a PC or a laptop, and is there enough room?
- How high should the desk be? Low enough to make visitors welcome, but high enough to keep paperwork on out of sight.
- What material is best – wood or metal, with glass or plastic finishing?
- What about logos or illustrations?
- Is there space to add items or adornments – a leaflet stand, charity box, etc.?
4. Potential Uses – a receptionist will answer phone calls, accept bookings and greet the public. But is that all? What about including a small display area where products might be on show. And, will the receptionist accept payments at the salon reception desk? If so, is there room for a cash register and what security features (locked drawers, etc.) does the desk have?
5. Storage Space – consider how much storage space your salon reception desk needs to provide. Again, this depends on the work needs to be done there but, desks with cabinets and drawers are useful. You may want to add extra storage options later.
6. Consider Client Safety – female clients are your mainstay, so it’s logical that they may bring young kids with them. If so, consider the safety in case of a fall.
- Will there be sufficient space for prams and strollers?
- Are the desk edges smooth or round?
- If not, can you insulate them to protect customers?
The DSSE Desk Range
At DSSE, we know that for any salon, reception desks are one of the most important pieces of furniture to choose. That’s why we make sure to provide a wide variety of sizes, designs, and styles, making it easier to find exactly the one you need.
For more on what we offer, check out our full range of desks on DSSE.com or contact one of our sales team on 1300 648 515.