What is World Water Day?
World Water Day, on 22 March every year, is about focusing attention on the importance of water. The theme for World Water Day 2018 is ‘Nature for Water’ – exploring nature-based solutions to the water challenges we face in the 21st century.
Damaged ecosystems affect the quantity and quality of water available for human consumption. Today, 2.1 billion people live without safe drinking water at home; affecting their health, education and livelihoods.
Sustainable Development Goal 6 commits the world to ensuring that everyone has access to safe water by 2030, and includes targets on protecting the natural environment and reducing pollution.
Ways to save water in your salon.
Unfortunately, no matter where we live, water is a dwindling resource. “Fresh, clean water is something most of us take for granted in our everyday life,” says Tamara Jercha, founder of the National Association of Eco-Friendly Salons & Spas (NAEFSS).
Some quick ways to save water in your salon are:
- Fix all leaky fixtures. A slow drip can waste 150 to 300 gallons per month. A fast drip can waste 600-900 gallons.
- Turn off water while working in hair treatments.
- Change 2.5 GPM showerheads to 1.75 GPM water-conserving models to save more than 7,500 gallons of water annually (based on an average seven-minute shower by four people).
- Make sure staff are fully aware of the importance of water minimisation.
- Use washing machines and dryers on full loads – a full load uses less water and energy per kilogram than a partial one.
- Where practical, choose water efficient products i.e. washing machines, shower heads, toilets and taps to save water.
It is not enough for management to want to save water, by making it a salon wide initiative that all team members get involved in it will help reduce water wastage and ultimately it will also lead to reduced costs.